The trail starts next to the Tugela river at the car park near Thendele, and it’s a relatively easy walk (23 km return trip), except for the last 2 km that require 3 easy river crossings and some boulder hopping. At the far point of the walk you can see spectacular view of the Amphitheatre, Sentinel and Tugela Falls…..a lovely spot for a picnic lunch.
In places, the trail winds through indigenous forests that provide welcome shade on a scorching hot day and wildlife spotting opportunities, including baboons and rock dassies.
The scenery is just gorgeous…..
- Sensible walking shoes/boots are essential and I recommend packing a lighter pair of shoes/sandals to walk through the river to get to the Gorge.
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen – the sun can be very fierce!
- Bring plenty of drinking water and pack a picnic as there are no facilities on the trail.
- In summer, make sure you take a bathing costume for a cooling dip in the rock pools.
- Keep an eye out for thunderstorms, which quickly brew above the Amphitheatre wall.